Our history

Working in partnership with John George Dixon, our founder Herbert Fitzroy Clayton set up Dixon Clayton and Co. in West Yorkshire in 1895. They were general Electrical and Mechanical Engineers but also designed and built Lorries and buses under the Trade Name "Karrier Motors" and manufactured Fog Signals used as a safety warning device by the railway companies. (these are still in use today)

In 1899, The Dixon/Clayton partnership was dissolved, as per the notice below which appeared in the London Gazette on the 27th January 1899.

NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned. John George Dixon and Herbert Fitzroy Clayton, carrying on business as Electrical Engineers, Fog-signal Manufacturers, Mechanics and Engineers, at Penistone, in the county of York, and at Milnsbridge, near Huddersfield, in the county of York, under the style or firm of Dixon Clayton and Co., has been dissolved by mutual consent as and from the 23rd day of January, 1899. All debts due to and owing by the said late firm will be received and paid by the said Herbert Fitzroy Clayton.
—Dated 23rd day of January, 1899.

J; G. DIXON.

H. F. CLAYTON.

With the two businesses now under the control of Herbert Fitzroy Clayton (HFC as he liked to be called) and his sons, they renamed them Clayton & Co (Huddersfield) Ltd and Clayton & Co (Penistone) Ltd.

The Huddersfield works manufactured the Lorries and buses and the Penistone works, offered Electrical Engineering services and also manufactured the Fog Signals.

Through the war years Karriers supplied vehicles to the army including a very popular go anywhere six wheel drive version. After the war they continued to develop new vehicles including the "Road Railer", a vehicle designed to run on both the roads and railway lines.  The next major project was an electric trolley bus which was never launched under the Karrier brand name since in 1920, Karrier Motors was sold to Sunbeam Motors and the Huddersfield Premises were closed down. The trolley bus went into service under the Sunbeam name.

The original Penistone site was at Bridge End Penistone, but in the early 1900's a new site was leased just off Halifax Road which was then purchased in 1956, this has remained our home ever since.

By 1930 Electrical activities at Penistone ceased but the Fog Signal remained in production and through the war years the company manufacture special shells for which after the war the company received an commendation from the war office.

Clayton & Co (Penistone) Ltd along with other subsidiary companies remained in the hands of the Clayton Family.

Herbert Fitzroy Clayton died in 1935 but the family continued to run Clayton & Co (Penistone) Ltd until 1988 when control passed to Dudley Arthur Swift and Ian Phillips Benn. Dudley retired in 2004 but remains on the Board adn Ian retired in 2014 and is now Company Chairman. 

Today:

The company has developed and expanded its range of services to encompass a whole package of Mechanical and Electrical services for Clean and Waste Water Treatments. 

After trading under the original name of Clayton & Co (Penistone) Ltd for 110 years, and with business expanding and to ensure we remained fully focused on customer service, the Board decided to form Clayton Penistone Group.

In 2008 we completed and moved into our new premises on the same site where we have been based since 1895. The new premises are eco-friendly, being heated by an Air Source Heat Pump, having high levels of insulation, waste and ground water drainage separation and movement sensing/task lighting.  

Despite the changes and the growth the company remains in private control with the majority of the shares held by directors who are actively involved in the management of the company.

The companies joint services are continually being developed and the website will only highlight the many services offered today, but please don’t hesitate to contact us if you feel that we can support you even if your needs are not specifically mentioned. 

Who we are

After trading under the original name of Clayton & Co (Penistone) Ltd for 110 years, and with business expanding and to ensure we remained fully focused on customer service it was decided to form Clayton Penistone in to a Group by setting up and trading through two wholly owned subsidiary companies, Clayton Project Engineering Ltd and Clayton M&E Services Ltd. In 2008 these were joined by a third company Clayton iwt Limited. All companies work from one base and share common resources but offer different specialist activities through their own team of engineers thus ensuring that the reputation for high quality earned since 1885 is not compromised as the company grows and further services are developed.

We now deliver most of our services through the subsidiary companies each managed by its own director but sharing communal resources and facilities and collectively working to the same high standards following a joint philosophy and safety and environmental policies.

The group managing director is responsible for all safety aspects and manages with a hands-on approach to ensure that as a group we deliver a fully united and integrated service to all our clients by offering a true single source for our M&E services.

 

For all the latest news get connected with us.
Clayton Penistone Group, Westhorpe Works, Halifax Road, Penistone, Sheffield
South Yorkshire England S36 7EY

T: +44 (0) 1226 763130
E: mail@clayton-penistone.co.uk
Crafted by DMSQUARED